A few notes about the Grammy nominations in addition to the main Jazz categories we’ve already discussed.
If you dig through all 91 categories from the Recording Academy, you’ll make some interesting discoveries.
Some of the music we play on KUVO is found in the category called “Contemporary Instrumental Music.” Nominees include Brad Mehldau, Snarky Puppy, Grant Geissman, Jeff Coffin and relative newcomers DOMi & JD Beck, the French keyboardist and American drummer duo you might hear on KUVO’s Jazz Odyssey.
In the R & B category, organist Cory Henry and multi-instrumentalist-producer Terrace Martin were nominated under the heading “Best Progressive R & B Album.” And under “Best R & B Album,” Robert Glasper’s “Black Radio III” got a nod, as well as for “Best Engineered Non-Classical Album.”
The category “American Roots Music” yielded the happiest of surprises, including Aaron Neville with the Dirty Dozen Brass Band’s CD “Stompin’ Ground,” The Blind Boys of Alabama featuring Black Violin, Dr. John’s “Things Happen That Way,” Keb’ Mo’s “Good to Be…,” Ranky Tanky, and Nathan & The Zydeco Cha Chas.
Lastly, new for 2023 is “Best Song For Social Change,” a Special Merit Award that recognizes timely lyrics and subject matter that impacts a community in need, promotes awareness, raises consciousness and builds empathy. Other new categories this year are “Best Soundtrack for Video Games” and “Songwriter of the Year (Non-Classical).”
Black Friday shoppers! Prepare to be distracted by the next shiny thing! Record Store Day (usually in the spring) is promoting some more choice vinyl releases, including:
- Mose Allison Trio – Live 1978
- Larry Coryell on colored vinyl
- Paquito D’Rivera & Arturo Sandoval’s re-issue from 1991 “Reunion”
- Charles Mingus 1961 re-issue, simply called “Mingus”
- Thelonious Monk’s Classic Quartet from 1963 in opaque blue vinyl
- And a Tony Williams German import from the early 80s.
Double LP Record Store Day exclusives include:
- Ahmad Jamal’s “Emerald City Nights: Live at the Penthouse 1963- through 66”
- Joe Lovano & Dave Douglas’s “Other Worlds”
- Tower of Power’s 40th Anniversary Live
- And Oscar Peterson’s “On A Clear Day – Live in Zurich, 1971 on clear vinyl
And a triple LP: the Jaco Pastorius Live New York City NPR recording “Truth, Liberty & Soul” with the photos, essays and all the works.
Be sure to shop small and shop local! There are 31 stores across Colorado participating in Record Store Day. Details at Record Store Day.com.
(SOURCE: RECORD STORE DAY)
Stay connected to KUVO’s programs and our community’s activities, Sign up for the station’s Oasis Online E-newsletter today!